Motorised transport in Forncett
Initially Walter John Smith, farmer at the Maltings Farm, started a carrier service by bus to Norwich from his farm; the buses were fitted with solid rubber tyres and built on a conventional lorry chassis as used by military vehicles in World War 1. Walter John Smith discontinued the service and then used the body in his farmyard as an office for the Independent Order of Oddfellows. Smith was local secretary of this friendly society, a means of insuring against sickness etc. in the days before Social Security.
Chellis Humphreys set up a family concern (C L Humphreys & Son of Forncett St Peter, Norfolk) nearby with one bus (below),
This was later added to with two more, all kept at Ashdell House on Tabernacle Lane (below).
The two buses on the left were probably Karrier ZX models, whose coachwork was built at Cringleford, possibly about 1927. Reproduction of photos with kind permission of K.L. Humphreys