This was perfectly understandable as there in the hamlet
adjacent to the main road to Norwich a large concentration of population had
developed, where a large number of tradesmen were operating; carriers were also
available to ferry goods and passengers to the county town.
Almost 20 years later, 23 Nov 1892, the teacher, Mrs Martha CASTON,
retired after long and successful service (She was 74!), and a new teacher was sought.
Agreement was also reached on hiring the Baptist Chapel School Room at a rent
of £4. (This building stood next to the chapel but was completely rebuilt as
domestic accommodation in the late 20th C.)
A meeting of the Infant School Committee was held at
Forncett St Peter Rectory on 3 Apr 1893 when Miss Edith RYE was regarded as the
most suitable candidate. However, by January 1894, when the Infant School Committee
met again, the accounts for the previous year were presented and a deficit of
£14.16.0 was highlighted. "It was
generally agreed that to carry on the School was impossible."
The following resolutions were passed:
- That the Infant School be continued until Easter 1894
under Miss L. Williams and then be finally closed and
- That notice be given to the Trustees of the Baptist Chapel
that the agreement for hiring the School would be determined at the April quarter day.
From the accounts of 1893 it can be seen that Mrs Caston was
paid £8.6.8 and received £1.5.0 rent and coal allowance. This suggests she was
probably living in the cottage adjacent. Miss Rye's salary for 8 months
amounted to £23.6.8.
Income for running the school came principally from rent
from the Town House (£9) and School Land (£2.15.0) plus annual subscriptions
from the following: the Rector, the Dean of Wells, Sir F. Boileau, Lt Col
Unthank, A. Day, H. F. Wilson, Messrs Steward & Patteson, Thomas Palmer and
F. H. Jollye. These were mainly landowners in this part of the parish, as
stipulated in the original agreement on the Infant School.