Grocers and Drapers

English's Stores - Low Road, Forncett St. Peter

Grocers and Drapers


The village shop no longer plays an important role in the life of Forncett residents; indeed, the last shop in the village closed in 2001. However, before the rise of the supermarket and the family car the grocers was a vital part of village life and in the 19th century this often also served as a drapers. For more than 180 years there have been a number of these institutions in Forncett, often run by the same family for generations. Those that can be well-documented include:

English's Stores (1869 -1983) - Low Road, Forncett St. Peter

Fox's Stores (1770 - 1960s) - Long Stratton Road, Forncett End

Tann's Stores (1836 - 1990s) - Long Stratton Road, Forncett End

Burroughes' Stores (1963 - 2001) - Long Stratton Road, Forncett End