Forncett St. Mary Methodist Chapel
Forncett St Mary Primitive Methodist Chapel
The Primitive Methodist church was an early 19th century (1807) secession from the Wesleyan Methodist church and was particularly successful in evangelising agricultural and industrial communities at open meetings. In 1932 the Primitive Methodists joined with the Wesleyan Methodists and the United Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
This chapel was established in the nineteenth century by John Ludkin who lived at Hill Farm in Cheney's Lane. He built a chapel for the Primitive Methodists in 1884 just a few hundred yards south of Hill Farm. The foundation stone is dated 14th April 1884.
The chapel celebrated its centenary in 1984 and the photograph below shows Leonard Humphreys, who was a member of the church and a lay preacher, outside the chapel on 13th April 1984.
The chapel was closed in about 1990, the members then worshipping at Forncett End. The building was sold and converted into a private residence.
Photos: Richard Ball