Cycle Sales and Repairs
There were two great inventions which directly affected people's domestic lives in the nineteenth century: the sewing machine and the bicycle. The mass production of these inventions changed the face of society to a remarkable degree. It was the bicycle in particular that enabled people to travel greater distances in a shorter time. This is reflected in the parish registers, where clearly relationships sprang up between folk who lived relatively far from each other, eventually resulting in marriages or job opportunities. Cycling also became a recreational activity.
People were keen to be mobile and therefore purchasing or hiring a
bicycle was important. Also cycling clubs were set up and the relevant
literature on touring and maps was made available to the general public. This
meant there was an ever-increasing opportunity to earn money from selling, hiring and repairing bicycles. The Forncett area was no exception and
three names are closely associated with the bicycle business: Fox, Aldridge and
At Forncett End, opposite the Methodist Chapel, David Fox had been running the general stores and post office since the late 1880s. In the early 1900's his sons, Fergus and Urbane, saw a new opportunity set up a separate business, Fox Bros., selling, hiring and repairing bicycles. The enterprise was obviously successful and by 1908 they had expanded and had a second shop in New Buckenham. In due course they were also agents for motor cycles (advert with thanks to Carleton Rode History Group).
A 1913 trade diary from the New Buckenham shop gave a fascinating insight into the business of Fox. Bros. (An article entitled "Fox Brothers of New Buckenham", by Peter Fuller, based on this diary was published in the Boneshaker magazine of the Veteran-Cycle Club, in 2012). Three "New Hudson" cycles were bought for the Forncett store in February but two were apparently later recalled to New Buckenham and sold to customers in Carleton Rode and New Buckenham. A new bicycle typically cost between £4 and £6 or you could hire a bike for about 6d (equivalent to 2.5p) per day.
A Ladies Rolfe cycle was sold to Mrs. Humphreys at Forncett End.
In the 1930s, Osmond ('Ozzie') Jackson took over the store at Forncett End and the cycle and motor cycle business was continued by Fergus Fox in New Buckenham. It finally closed in 1960.
After Fox. Bros. closed in Forncett, cycle repairs were carried out by William Aldridge (1911-1956) and Norman Humphreys (1899-1989). William Aldridge's business was on Aslacton Road near the 'Five Ways' and his tombstone (below) in Forncett St Peter churchyard bears a permanent reminder of his trade.
Norman Humphreys had his little repair workshop in the garden of his house [Louie-Holme] at Forncett End, not far from 'The Jolly Farmers' public house. He also used to repair radios and wireless sets. He had acquired his engineering expertise from his time in the RFC & RAF. He and his brother, Leonard (Lenny), were involved in driving buses from Forncett to Norwich for the family business set up by their father, Chellis Humphreys of Forncett End.