The Safety Valve

The Safety Valve

Forncett railway station was opened in 1849 when Norwich and Ipswich were connected by the Eastern Union Railway. In 1851 the Railway Inn public house was built on the station approach road: it was renamed The Safety Valve in 1861. 

The Safety Valve in 1918
The Safety Valve in 1918

The known licensees were:

          James Harvey 1851-1864

          John Waters 1865-1879

          Robert Keeler 1881-1900

          Lemon Keeler 1904-1912

          William Rice 1915

          William John Golden 1916

          George Harry Young 1922-1937

Licensees often had other occupations as well as running the pub. John Waters was a coal merchant and Robert Keeler was a coal, coke and oats merchant. Lemon Keeler was likewise a coal agent as well as being a general carrier and cab proprietor.

The Safety Valve closed on 3rd December 1970 and was later demolished.