The Chequers, also known locally as "The Bunk", was in Forncett St Mary at the junction of High Road and Chequers Hill. The building was a licensed pub from 1789 until 1983 and is now a private house. It is a plastered clay lump Grade II listed building.
The known licensees of the Chequers were:
William Cook 1789-1801
Ann Cook 1801
Canham Harvey 1836-1850
John Barker 1851-1852
Elijah Harvey 1854-1858
George Harvey 1861-1892
Alfred Stone 1896
Thomas Baxter 1900
James Baxter 1901-1922
Arthur Ernest Mann 1925-1939
Tom & Rosa Cumberland
Charles and Kathleen Moss c1962
In 1839 the Chequers was supplied by Morgans brewery, Old King Street, Norwich. Morgans was bought by Watney Mann in 1961 and they then continued to supply the pub until it was closed in 1983.
Below are a number of photos taken at the Chequers in the 1980s.
Darts Team about 1983. Back row left to right: Pip Grimmer, Alan Aldridge, Joe Moss, Brian Landsell, Reg Ludkin, John Reeve. Front row left to right: Charles Moss (Landlord), Maurice Moss, Robert Sculfor. Note: Charles and Joe were brothers. Maurice was Joe's son. Alan was Charles’s son in law. Brian was Joe's son in law.
Back row left to right: Joe Moss, Peter King, Reggie Ludkin. Front row left to right: Charlie Moss, John Bassingthwaite, Maurice Moss, Alan Aldridge, Robert Sculfor.
Left to Right: Charlie Moss (landlord), Marjorie Nicholls (nee Drake), Tom Blake, Marion Hawkins (nee Moss), Derek Chaplin, Mary (Kathleen) Moss - landlady, Frank Nicholls.
Standing - Marjorie Nicholls, Seated - Doris Landsell (nee Moss), Brian Landsell, Frank Nicholls
Left to right: Billy Bunn, Charlie Moss, Daisy O'Sullivan (Charlie's sister), Mary Moss